Getting through one season on FM10

• Thread starter iNickStuff
  • Start date
  • Replies 86
  • Views 7K
Sometimes I get the problem you have, I start a game and then get bored and never go back to it. So here are a few tips on what to do at times like this :D

Can't complete one season at the same club?
- Challenges -I've never been Liverpool on FM, because there are so many other teams to explore, not just in England, since playing FM I have found Ajax to be the most exciting club to manage. Or just try buying players from certain clubs or nationalities? So for example to be Ajax and only buy Dutch players is difficult but fun.

- National Teams - I started a game as Scotland and enjoyed it, you can get through a season really fast and playing in the World Cup is exciting, also come the end of the season you may receive offers from clubs struggling and in need of a new manager. And in the second season most teams are given decent budgets!

- Start in Feb - If you select the Swedish league you can start in February 2010 which is quite fun, you can still manage English clubs but they are half way through the year and usually there is a team overachieving and a team underachieving in each league which can be a fun challenge.

Can't find a tactic?
- I never really use tactics from FM-Base, there's nothing wrong with them it's just so much easier creating a tactic around your squad rather than creating a squad around your tactic. But I usually use these basics when creating a Tactic:

Phiolosphy: Rigid
Strategy: Control
Passing Style: Direct
Tackiling: More Aggressive
Marking: Man Marking
Crossing: Float Crossing

These tactics work well for weak teams and usually get good results.

Can't find any players? or Bored of the same players?
- If you are bored of the same players floating about the game then why not search for a player rather than just going on shortlists from this site which usually have the same sort of players. I find most of my players by searching for attributes I feel are important.

- Try not to buy the same player twice. Even I do this, when I'm a team with very little money I usually buy players such as Lacina Traore, which is all good but very boring. Yesterday I was playing as Plymouth in the second season after getting promoted I decided to look from players only based in England and managed to get a lot of good experienced players.

Other stuff to consider
- Never underestimate the importance of coaches or training schedules, both can effect your squad dramatically and always make sure you have a assistant you can rely on because he will probably be the most important man to you.

- Do you really care that you can't finish a season? I know it may seem stupid, but the whole point of the game is that you enjoy it, I very rarely get beyond two seasons at a club but I can't get enough of Football Manager.

**Sorry it's so long, didn't realize I wrote so much.. I'll stop now unless you want me to keep going >.<**

Last edited:
Ermmm tacitcs arent my strong point, BUT, if you keep a flat back 4 why not try them as wingbacks defending? cos then they will still launch crosses in for your target man? do you keep it balanced on your philosophy? or fluid etc? that might make a difference if you can get the right one I guess.

I try keep things roughly the same and just change them a little bit before each game if I feel the need too anall, thats about as much advice as i can give lol

Thanks for that.

No,I normally play rigid.

And you would replace him how? Do you have a rough shortlist in your mind about what players you would think fit the tactic or you just go shopping?
Well my signings so far have been:

LB - Michael Ball (Free), as Bouma was out injured for a few months at the start of the season.
DM - Annan, sold Reo-Coker to finance this deal.
CM - Capi (Loan) as back-up to Petrov, in January I picked van der Vaart up on loan.
RW - De Mul (Loan) again as back-up to Milner
ST - Palermo, sold Heskey purely because I can't stand him in real life.

As well as brining in a few youngsters.
So basically how I go about it is to create a filter from my first choice player, ie. A.Young (if I am looking for a L/R W) and see which players come up.

Sometimes I get the problem you have, I start a game and then get bored and never go back to it. So here are a few tips on what to do at times like this :D

Can't complete one season at the same club?
- Challenges -I've never been Liverpool on FM, because there are so many other teams to explore, not just in England, since playing FM I have found Ajax to be the most exciting club to manage. Or just try buying players from certain clubs or nationalities? So for example to be Ajax and only buy Dutch players is difficult but fun.

- National Teams - I started a game as Scotland and enjoyed it, you can get through a season really fast and playing in the World Cup is exciting, also come the end of the season you may receive offers from clubs struggling and in need of a new manager. And in the second season most teams are given decent budgets!

- Start in Feb - If you select the Swedish league you can start in February 2010 which is quite fun, you can still manage English clubs but they are half way through the year and usually there is a team overachieving and a team underachieving in each league which can be a fun challenge.

Can't find a tactic?
- I never really use tactics from FM-Base, there's nothing wrong with them it's just so much easier creating a tactic around your squad rather than creating a squad around your tactic. But I usually use these basics when creating a Tactic:

Phiolosphy: Rigid
Strategy: Control
Passing Style: Direct
Tackiling: More Aggressive
Marking: Man Marking
Crossing: Float Crossing

These tactics work well for weak teams and usually get good results.

Can't find any players? or Bored of the same players?
- If you are bored of the same players floating about the game then why not search for a player rather than just going on shortlists from this site which usually have the same sort of players. I find most of my players by searching for attributes I feel are important.

- Try not to buy the same player twice. Even I do this, when I'm a team with very little money I usually buy players such as Lacina Traore, which is all good but very boring. Yesterday I was playing as Plymouth in the second season after getting promoted I decided to look from players only based in England and managed to get a lot of good experienced players.

Other stuff to consider
- Never underestimate the importance of coaches or training schedules, both can effect your squad dramatically and always make sure you have a assistant you can rely on because he will probably be the most important man to you.

- Do you really care that you can't finish a season? I know it may seem stupid, but the whole point of the game is that you enjoy it, I very rarely get beyond two seasons at a club but I can't get enough of Football Manager.

**Sorry it's so long, didn't realize I wrote so much.. I'll stop now unless you want me to keep going >.<**

Thanks some good advice there mate for me :)

sounds like you not enjoying so maybe take up Fifa or PES :D just say to yourself, i am going to finish one season and spend time reading, searching, getting feedback form *** manager after game, who they suggest you buy, praising players, fining them if they play like ****, getting correct feeder/parent clubs, right training schedules, (i do not use the sliders on personal player instructions, it is all default if i choose deep lying playmaker and i make sure that my player has the correct stats for that position! they are normally highlighted on the left hand side of the screen when you select a player on tactic screen)

so just set a target and read through stuff like this, its all here to make your playing experience as awesome as possible... :D

http://www.fm-base.co.uk/forum/f72/woifsongs-teamtalk-guide-t29092.html

Like someone said above, set yourself targets.
the first save i played was with AC Milan, my targets were to knock Inter off their perch and also get back on top in europe. Another target i set myself was to re-vitalise their sqad as they have fairly old players. I definately enjoyed it. Also managing the team you support is enjoyable, especially for me managing Liverpool as i want to win trophies for them.

Also a quick tip for those of you who manage to get past the first season:

Always look for regens! Search through players under 18 can be time consuming but is definately worth it.

I signed this guy for Plymouth for only £1,100,000 :D That was after about 5 minutes of searching.

sounds like you not enjoying so maybe take up Fifa or PES :D just say to yourself, i am going to finish one season and spend time reading, searching, getting feedback form *** manager after game, who they suggest you buy, praising players, fining them if they play like ****, getting correct feeder/parent clubs, right training schedules, (i do not use the sliders on personal player instructions, it is all default if i choose deep lying playmaker and i make sure that my player has the correct stats for that position! they are normally highlighted on the left hand side of the screen when you select a player on tactic screen)

so just set a target and read through stuff like this, its all here to make your playing experience as awesome as possible... :D

http://www.fm-base.co.uk/forum/f72/woifsongs-teamtalk-guide-t29092.html

Agree, take time to look at the finer points of the game as well as this could add a lot to the enjoyment of your game.

JustKituno, I was the same way, i played as Coventry, but kept getting bored, i started a story on here... now i cant put the game down. try another story, as an LLM and work up :D

JustKituno, I was the same way, i played as Coventry, but kept getting bored, i started a story on here... now i cant put the game down. try another story, as an LLM and work up :D

Yeah,I was thinking doing that with Nantwich Town at first XD

lol Good luck, if you decide to do that... its all im saying XD

I've now had to restart my game five times from my last save with Man Utd after I keep losing to Chelsea.It's really taking the mick now.

I've now had to restart my game five times from my last save with Man Utd after I keep losing to Chelsea.It's really taking the mick now.

you can't restart your game every time you lose mate :( cheating a bit.