Liverpool manager Roy Hodgson has faith in his ability

I'm knackered so I'm gonna hit the pit. Hopefully I"ll wake up in the morning to find out Roy's been sacked, Guardiola has agreed to manage us & we've signed Eden Hazard & Romelu Lukaku on pre contracts........somehow I doubt that's gonna happen but we can all dream!

"Whoever takes my place will be in a similar job with similar players."

No roy, they will be in the SAME job with the SAME players.

We're not offensive enough, and Roy has always played more cautious football, I for one was hoping for even martin o'neill instead, i was actually quite naive in thinking dalglish would take the helm again, but here we are.

Roy Hodgson isn;t a bad manager, but he's not right for liverpool, At the same time i'm glad Rafa has gone, although i'll never forget him! (Or the fact he wasted so much on Babel).

Lets see what january brings, wether we sign more average players like Poulsen and Konchesky, or we sign players at the level we need, then what Roy does with them in the second half of the season.

Hodgson terrible? dear god you know nothing about football.

Getting Fulham to the europa league final is a remarkable achievement. Yes his away record is poor but he has a good record around europe and even in asia.

Still dont get all this rafa *** licking, he was failing, 7th with Pool is a failure as they are one of the biggest clubs in the world. he made some terrible signings (though he also made some good ones). he was at pool way too long.

We're not offensive enough, and Roy has always played more cautious football, I for one was hoping for even martin o'neill instead, i was actually quite naive in thinking dalglish would take the helm again, but here we are.

If you got O'Neill, you'd be in a worst position than you are under Roy. O'Neill relies on a big target man and fast paced wingers and Liverpool have neither.

I would like to see Jol take over. Top manager, and would jump at the chance.

Hodgson terrible? dear god you know nothing about football.

Getting Fulham to the europa league final is a remarkable achievement. Yes his away record is poor but he has a good record around europe and even in asia.

Still dont get all this rafa *** licking, he was failing, 7th with Pool is a failure as they are one of the biggest clubs in the world. he made some terrible signings (though he also made some good ones). he was at pool way too long.

Like I said in a previous post, I may have been a little over zealous in my criticism of him but after the shambles we've been since he took over can you blame me? I still don't understand why people talk about him like he's some kind of managerial messiah though, I really don't think his cv is that impressive considering the calibre of managers we should be looking at as a club. Yes, when we appointed Roy we were in no position to be chasing the likes of Hiddink etc but now that the financial side of the club has been sorted out we should definately be looking to replace Roy with someone in the top echelon of managers,

On saying that, I'm in agreement over Rafa, I think there were a lot of similarities to be drawn between him & Houllier, both had great times at the club & took us forward but the party was clearly over. Some of the decisions Rafa made in his last season were.....I don't know, I can't think of a stronger word for strange, baffling I suppose?

Right, what non-Liverpool fans have to understand, is it's not even the fact we're losing games. It's the fact we're playing such ***** football. We get the ball, hoof it up to either Torres (who doesn't look bothered) or to a winger who cuts inside and congests the middle and with a left back who's useless, it doesn't work.
Bottom line. we're losing games & playing badly.
When we've actually attempted to play football (against Villa for one) we've looked so much better, but we seem to win a game which relieves pressure from him, then go back to his bog standard ****. His problem is he doesn't have a plan B (i could argue he doesn't have a Plan A, but i won't)

Another thing, he's picking players purely on merit. I mean, Torres looks like he couldn't give a ****, and Babels probably just played his best game in a Liverpool shirt, so what happens? Babel's dropped and Torres is aloud to sulk around a pitch. It's not on - as someone's said, we need a manager who will pick a team on performance rather than name. I read an article saying a Mereiles/Lucas midfield partnership is better than one with Gerrard in it & i agree, when he plays we rely on him far too much and become too one dimensional.

The same **** squad who finished 7th under the '**** manager' that is Rafa Benitez? We haven't been higher than 7th at all yet this season!

Roy out, Villas Boas/Klopp in.

A ******* squad.. No Mascherano which would be a loss to any side, and 7th hardly sets the world a light Alex.... When in my post did i say Rafa was ****... Just over-rated in my opinion, but that argument is for VMs not this thread.

before he took the fulham job i didnt hav much time for him but wht he did there considering they were on tha verge of relegation when he took ova is pretty dam good getting them to qualify for europe n tht,so i wouldnt go judging him yet at liverpool i would give him at least season or two,he's only got the playas from the previous manager and lets face it apart from gerrard,torres n reina the rest are ****,torres hasnt been exactly on world class form since world cup only now he he getting near bk to his old self,i say say giv tha man a chance! if Mourinho or fergie took them ova now they still wouldnt get into top 4 this season

You know what really ****** me off more than anything? when people saw we weren't good enough/under-achieved or whatever last season. It was only seen as a failure because we had such a cracking season the year before (a season in which i believe we over-achieved).
If you look at it, the majority of teams that finished above us last year were financially better off than us and were more able to compete in the transfer market (all except Villa of course). Given our financial situation at the time, and the squad at the time, we finished roughly where we'd expect to, but because we're Liverpool FC we're expected to be in the top 4 season in season out. regardless of financial power.

But, i'm going off topic.

You know what really ****** me off more than anything? when people saw we weren't good enough/under-achieved or whatever last season. It was only seen as a failure because we had such a cracking season the year before (a season in which i believe we over-achieved).
If you look at it, the majority of teams that finished above us last year were financially better off than us and were more able to compete in the transfer market (all except Villa of course). Given our financial situation at the time, and the squad at the time, we finished roughly where we'd expect to, but because we're Liverpool FC we're expected to be in the top 4 season in season out. regardless of financial power.

But, i'm going off topic.

but at the same time, you where you should be in terms of Money, Squad and Ability now, Yet you all seem to label Roy a failure.. When you as 19-11-08 kindly said, You are only 4 points of 6th and 5 points of 5th. with 20 game to go, so you can't have it both ways.

but at the same time, you where you should be in terms of Money, Squad and Ability now, Yet you all seem to label Roy a failure.. When you as 19-11-08 kindly said, You are only 4 points of 6th and 5 points of 5th. with 20 game to go, so you can't have it both ways.

Yes, but nothing we've seen from Hodgson leads me to believe he'll be an inspired choice of manager. He doesn't seem to be able to motivate a team. Also, in terms of money, we're probably above United and Spurs now, so theres nothing to say we can't be a Top 4 team again very soon. Unless Hodgson is still manager. Like i said above, his style of football doesn't endear him to us Liverpool fans.

Another thing, if NESV are in it for the long haul (which i believe they are) then they're not going to want a manager who will probably be retiring very soon, they're gunna want a manager who is in it for the long run and can help build a project. Roy apparently has 4 games left to save his job, and even by a miracle, he's still here at the end of the season. I assure you that he won't be here for the start of next season.

I haven't read the other posts, my patience fails me.

end of, Roy Hodgson is a quality manager. Give him a full transfer window (none of this January banter), he will come good. Liverpool have a quality *english* manager for once, they need to stick with him.

Yes, but nothing we've seen from Hodgson leads me to believe he'll be an inspired choice of manager. He doesn't seem to be able to motivate a team. Also, in terms of money, we're probably above United and Spurs now, so theres nothing to say we can't be a Top 4 team again very soon. Unless Hodgson is still manager. Like i said above, his style of football doesn't endear him to us Liverpool fans.

Another thing, if NESV are in it for the long haul (which i believe they are) then they're not going to want a manager who will probably be retiring very soon, they're gunna want a manager who is in it for the long run and can help build a project. Roy apparently has 4 games left to save his job, and even by a miracle, he's still here at the end of the season. I assure you that he won't be here for the start of next season.

Hang on a minute, You sale went through after the transfer window, MR hodgson will need time to sort out the squad, like a summer, not 4 weeks in November,

WHo to say Roy isn't going to go on until he is 70, no unheard of you know.

end of, Roy Hodgson is a quality manager. Give him a full transfer window (none of this January banter), he will come good. Liverpool have a quality *english* manager for once, they need to stick with him.

We don't want that, we dont want him to sign more average mid table players and suck away our ambition. We need an attacking manager who will push forward straight away and make people like Reina and Torres want to stay at the club and I don't think Roy is that man.

If we lose Reina I think its fair to say were f*cked and I can see it going downhill quickly. If Roy was playing good football and taking chances are we were looking positive but still losing and drawing we would be right behind him as it is a bad time for Liverpool and a very hard time for him to come in as manager but hes just not.

He is negative in press conference and tactically negative against teams we should be easily beating.

So, wanna trade? :p

---------- Post added at 02:57 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:08 PM ----------

Not sure if this has been posted before. But take a look -

bbc.png

If you got O'Neill, you'd be in a worst position than you are under Roy. O'Neill relies on a big target man and fast paced wingers and Liverpool have neither.

About the same position I'd say Jack. O'Neill is not the man for the Liverpool job either.

Pretty much said all this before he was appointed. Seems like the media (bar the clueless blerts like Winter) are actually seeing the Emperor has no clothes. What's vaguely amusing is seeing Mr.Hodgson seeming to have lost his amazing talent to keep on at least the media's good side.

Problem NESV will have is who will be a good replacement. I honestly can't think of a candidate who is available right now who I'd have confidence in to replace Mr.Hodgson.

Hicks, Gillett and Benitez are to blame for current state at Liverpool

Hodgson is a good manager, 7th with Fulham (their highest ever finish) and then mid table safety juggled a small squad with a very good cup run (when ipswich finished 5th a few years ago and they tried to balance league with europe they got relegated - west ham needed Tevez to save them on the final day when they tried to balance europe - remembering these examples surely 12th last season wasn't that bad)

As for his '11 away wins since 97' comment, i have no idea if this stat is true or not but what i am sure of is that this would refer to english premiership only and as he had a gap from the prem between 98 to taking the fulham job in 2007 this statistic isn't quite so glaring - also this doesn't mean all the other away games were losses, i'm sure there are a few draws thrown in. Also doesn't reflect on the home form, he turned Craven Cottage into a fortress.

Liverpool are still recovering from a bad start, this doesn't suddenly make Hodgson a bad manager. With new owners in place and hopefully more funds, Hodgson should be given time to stamp his mark on the team - cant just go around sacking managers before they've had a real chance - case in point SAF

Hicks, Gillett and Benitez are to blame for current state at Liverpool

I curse those awful Benitez signings Reina, Kuyt, Maxi, Torres and Lucas. Curse them I tell you.

Mr.Hodgson can't decide who to blame either right now - he's almost schizoid. First it's the team, then it's not the team but mystery factor X, then it's the team again. To put it bluntly, he knew the circumstances he was walking into (and his willingness to be the 'yes' man for dictatorial owners was a key part of his being appointed - that and his supposedly brilliant relationship with the media) and has to be judged in that light. We're well aware of the damage that Hicks and Gillett did to the club, but we sacked a manager for finishing 7th under those circumstances. So far this season, Hodgson's results and the performances of his team have been even worse. Even worse.

Hodgson is a good manager, 7th with Fulham (their highest ever finish) and then mid table safety juggled a small squad with a very good cup run (when ipswich finished 5th a few years ago and they tried to balance league with europe they got relegated - west ham needed Tevez to save them on the final day when they tried to balance europe - remembering these examples surely 12th last season wasn't that bad)

Liverpool aren't Fulham. This is the problem. When Liverpool go away from home and play 'le hoof' (we've had it before in recent memory...) we've ten men behind the ball most of the time, it does not make for happy supporters. A top-half of the table finish isn't cutting it with Liverpool. A decent cup run is expected every season at Liverpool not as a generational event.

As for his '11 away wins since 97' comment, i have no idea if this stat is true or not but what i am sure of is that this would refer to english premiership only and as he had a gap from the prem between 98 to taking the fulham job in 2007 this statistic isn't quite so glaring - also this doesn't mean all the other away games were losses, i'm sure there are a few draws thrown in. Also doesn't reflect on the home form, he turned Craven Cottage into a fortress.

The only decent record away from home Hodgson has was his handful of matches with Udinese. Can't be bothered to paste the stats of his managerial career over the past 35 years if you can't be bothered to check your comment matches reality, but when you do take a look you'll be amazed at how this has been a persistent problem throughout his career. Lovely jubbly getting home results, need away results too for CL places though.

Liverpool are still recovering from a bad start, this doesn't suddenly make Hodgson a bad manager. With new owners in place and hopefully more funds, Hodgson should be given time to stamp his mark on the team - cant just go around sacking managers before they've had a real chance - case in point SAF

Mr.Hodgson's marks so far have been the frankly embarassing Poulsen and the abysmal Konchesky. Oh and Joe Cole who has sustained the standard of football which saw Chelsea happy to let him run his contract down (in fairness to the lad, I think he's now a sick note after too much football too young). His 'good' signing Meireles he thought was a right winger in spite of playing all his career in central midfield - Mr.Hodgson seemed very proud of himself that the right winger did such a good job in the centre of the pitch when he finally did play him there.

Mr.Hodgson asked to be judged after 10 games. We're now 17 league games in and we are in no way happy with the football or the results. This is, according to him, as good as he gets - he's at the top of his game as a manager - couldn't do better. He'll be gone as soon as NESV have got someone they like lined up or if the damage he's doing to the long term future of the club outweighs the cost of bringing in someone short term to do the job he was meant to be doing.