Liverpool manager Roy Hodgson has faith in his ability

Who is this Klopp you speak of? Dortmund manager by any chance?#
I want a young, attacking manager with fresh ideas in the mould of Guardiola (note to trolls: that isn't me saying i want guardiola, though i'd love him at Liverpool, it just isn't realistic?

Spot on, Dortmund manager. He is a young, attacking manager with fresh ideas. Seems to cover your criteria there?

The really sad thing, above all else, is that some Liverpool fans still believe that Rafa was great and would have him back. Roy is sadly an improvement over Benitez, but that is saying very little. Both played Kuyt on the right wing, despite the fact he can't cross, has no pace, and is as creative as a brick. Both played Lucas in a holding role despite his complete inability to tackle (incidentally has anyone else noticed how well Spearing has been playing when he has had the chance, but does he get to start in the league???). Both of them would rather play Carra at right back than give a chance to a player like Kelly or Darby. Grrrrr, makes me mad.

Dear me, someone's hating on Kuyt. I cannot allow this to stand!

Kuyt's virtues when played on the wing aren't his blistering pace, his pinpoint crossing (though I do think you have done him a disservice) or his eagle eye for a pass. His advantages include a superb work-rate, great physical fitness and durability and above all consistency. What Kuyt performs is a role becoming more and more common in top teams across the world: a defensive winger. Similar to Park, or indeed like Elano was deployed for Brazil in the World Cup, he tracks the opposition full back up and down the pitch, using his superior stamina to keep him under the cosh, nullifying his offensive attributes. On top of that, his positioning and work rate means he can cover for his full-back, in this case Glen Johnson.

There's a reason why Bert Van Marwijk, with a squad bursting with attacking talent, picked Kuyt ahead of such players as Eljero Elia and Rafael Van der Vaart. They are incredibly useful in the modern game, and Kuyt has the added bonus of the alertness and finishing skills needed to grab a goal in tight games. Superb player.

Ahem. Rant over. Please get back to slagging off Hodgson, everyone. ;)

EDIT: Speaking of which, I think Klopp would be awesome for Liverpool, but I fear he may not come. Dortmund are top of the Bundesliga and cruising, with an extremely talented squad.

Spearing's ****.

Kelly should play over Johnson. He's top notch.

Spearing may never be England quality but he is still a better player than Lucas or Poulsen. Here is a wacky thought, why not play Gerrard and Meireles together in the centre? When Gerrard is fit that is.

Kelly looks to be an excellent player, and he can actually defend. But if Johnson does go in January we will still spend a ton of money on a replacement probably.

Spearing may never be England quality but he is still a better player than Lucas or Poulsen. Here is a wacky thought, why not play Gerrard and Meireles together in the centre? When Gerrard is fit that is.

Kelly looks to be an excellent player, and he can actually defend. But if Johnson does go in January we will still spend a ton of money on a replacement probably.
haha, lucas is a much better player than spearing, lucas and merieles should actually be your centre mid partnership. it actually works better than with gerrard in there

I'm sorry, this is where I'm going to jump in. Not sure how you can say Spearing is better than Lucas. Trust me, if he wasn't a Scouser born and bred in Liverpool then he would be nowhere near the first team. And to say he is better than Lucas is beyond me; In a recent poll on LFC.TV, 39% of Liverpool fans voted Lucas as our player of the season so far. I agree with the Poulsen bit however, he is cack.

Gerrard and Meireles in the centre together? Wouldn't work for me, one of them would need to sit otherwise the defence would just be overran, neither would want to do that. For me, put Gerrard on the right of midfield, this is where he had his best goalscoring season, and put Lucas and Meireles in the centre together. Again, not sure why you would suggest breaking up the Lucas-Meireles partnership despite it being so fruitful in recent weeks.

/Rant

Spearing may never be England quality but he is still a better player than Lucas or Poulsen.
Wow! That's quite a statement, considering Lucas was voted as currently this season's most impressive player for the club.

I'm starting to think you're either new to football, or too young to talk sense. How exactly is Roy an "improvement" over Rafa? Show me the improvement. Other than Meireles, none of his summer signings are worthy of first-team football in LFC. Any other decent player has been from Rafa's reign. We're in 9th currently with a crappy away record and very little hope for 4th place. If we were to finish 4th or better, Roy would at least have to win all the remaining home games and more than half of the away games. Which is very unlikely because his personal record away from home stands at 1 win in the last 25 games. So please, show me the improvement.

Last edited:
haha, lucas is a much better player than spearing, lucas and merieles should actually be your centre mid partnership. it actually works better than with gerrard in there

Agreed on this, if Hodgson remains committed to playing a 4-4-2 variant. Lucas and Merieles have a good understanding, are multi-talented and energetic and attack and defend equally well. Gerrard would force the other into a role which he is less comfortable with, deeper and less able to make use of the full range of his skills.

I'm not saying they should drop Gerrard because that would be an early contender for stupidest comment of the century, but a 4-4-1-1 with Gerrard as the second striker might work well.

EDIT: Speaking of which, I think Klopp would be awesome for Liverpool, but I fear he may not come. Dortmund are top of the Bundesliga and cruising, with an extremely talented squad.

If he came & brought Sahin with him I'd arrive in my pants.

Football is all about opinions, so I would never want to "slag off" someone for having a different thought to me (and I'm not saying anyone has to me with any comments here either) but I just don't see how so many of my fellow Reds can think that Lucas is our player of the season so far. Granted his performances are much improved from last season, but the game just seems to pass him by for me. He looks better when allowed to go forward, but we already have other players better suited to that position.

steal this from ZM Mike? ;)
I'd also like to see the Babel - N'gog partnership more, A) because Torres is CACK at the minute, and B) because they looked good together :)

Point taken about Gerrard and Meireles in tandem, it is a bit like the Gerrard / Lampard England situation, but you would think such players could learn to take it turns to sit. Gerrard did start off as a def mid after all.

steal this from ZM Mike? ;)
I'd also like to see the Babel - N'gog partnership more, A) because Torres is CACK at the minute, and B) because they looked good together :)
hehe nope. though if there is an article on this im going have to take a read. This all stems from my long standing disapproval of gerrard in central midfield

hehe nope. though if there is an article on this im going have to take a read. This all stems from my long standing disapproval of gerrard in central midfield

Think this is it...http://www.zonalmarking.net/2010/12/07/liverpool-3-0-aston-villa/

I agree with what (i think it was) godcubed that said, play a 4-4-1-1- anf just alow Gerrard and Torres to play fairly high up, obviously Gerrard deeper than Torres. This is one problem i have with Hodgson, he's picking players on names alone when we've been performing better without Gerrard and Torres (and Glen Johnson)

The thing is an on-form and correctly used Torres and Gerrard are amongst the best partnerships there are, maybe they just don't want to play for Woy? Players need to play to get to their best form, so Woy may hoping something clicks soon with the big name players (and stick Joe Cole on that list as well)

Wish people would stop saying Torres is useless and doesn't look interested etc. If we gave him some half decent service further up the pitch and gave him support then just maybe we'd see something from him.

I mean, Pacheco comes on for Ecclestone, and gets shoved on left wing - out of position, and still looks fairly promising, what does this kid have to do to get a break?

Be English I'm afraid.

The thing is an on-form and correctly used Torres and Gerrard are amongst the best partnerships there are, maybe they just don't want to play for Woy? Players need to play to get to their best form, so Woy may hoping something clicks soon with the big name players (and stick Joe Cole on that list as well)

Agreed, and the key words in that is correctly used. Gerrard and Torres aren't a great partnership if they're half a pitch away from each other is a big one, but equally I think Gerrard is a better player higher up the pitch, and punting long balls up to Torres to run the channels is absolutely moronic.

Last edited:
Football is all about opinions, so I would never want to "slag off" someone for having a different thought to me (and I'm not saying anyone has to me with any comments here either) but I just don't see how so many of my fellow Reds can think that Lucas is our player of the season so far. Granted his performances are much improved from last season, but the game just seems to pass him by for me. He looks better when allowed to go forward, but we already have other players better suited to that position.

This year, its not a case of how good a player is, but how not bad.