Sir Alex Ferguson hit with five-match touchline ban by FA

CtPauley

ORVP
Reaction score
Sir Alex Ferguson has been banned from the touchline for Manchester United's next five matches and will have to watch the FA Cup semi-final from the stands after being found guilty of improper conduct at a Football Association hearing.

sir-alex-ferguson-manches-007.jpg

Ferguson has also been fined £30,000 after the FA decided to take a hardline stance over his decision to fight the charge rather than accept he had gone too far in his criticisms of the referee Martin Atkinson after the defeat at Chelsea earlier this month.

For that offence, Ferguson was banned from the touchline for United's next three games, starting with Bolton Wanderers' visit to Old Trafford on Saturday, plus a trip to West Ham and a home match against Fulham. However, Ferguson already had a suspended two-match touchline ban hanging over him from a previous charge, when he had accused Alan Wiley of being physically unfit to referee in the Premier League.

That has now been invoked, meaning Ferguson will also be banned from United's dugout in the all-Manchester semi-final at Wembley and a home game against Everton.

The case against Ferguson was that he alleged bias on Atkinson's part by saying that he should not have been appointed for the Chelsea game because the occasion demanded "a fair referee." Ferguson, who had been incensed by Atkinson's officiating of a 2-1 defeat for the Premier League leaders, had decided to fight the charge against the recommendation of United's legal advisers.

Ferguson has 48 hours to appeal.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2011/mar/16/sir-alex-ferguson-ban-fa

And that, as they say, is that. Do the right thing Fergie. Don't make it any worse for yourself.

Wow. Really not something United needed right now. Wonder if he'll appeal...

That said, it is thoroughly deserved. Well done FA, impressive cojones.

5 Games maybe a bit harsh but suppose it's not the first time he has done it so can't complain. He shouldn't appeal could only make it worse.

All the haters will be pleased with this even though they all said "He wouldn't be banned" because hes SAF Eat your hats now ;)

Not suprised, didnt have a leg to stand on and it was a pointless fight to pick when you already had a suspended ban

5 games isn't too surprising considering he had the two games from the previous season and tbh the games he's going to miss aren't the hardest excluding City.

I would actually like to commend the FA for taking such a hard stance. SAF was in the wrong and should never have appealed. Hopefully this will be seen as a warning to all other managers that the referees, and their decisions, should be respected. It will make for an even more interesting Semi Final against the old enemy though

Don't see how. Other managers sometimes have to put up with worse, and they don't question the refs integrity the way he did. So....he should've just taken it on the chin.
it was a needless fight, should have admitted the charge, would have got a one game ban, probably wouldnt have had the suspended ban invoked either

Not supprising, What he said was out of order.

I wonder if he will control his tounge in the future?

So that's City in the FA Cup, Arsenal and Chelsea in the league + another. Wow.

Well done FA

Not supprising, What he said was out of order.

I wonder if he will control his tounge in the future?

I doubt it tbh. He gets fined for not speaking to the BBC etc. he still does it..

Well done FA

woah, jumping the gun a bit there i think lol. City aren't guaranteed anything. No-one is this season lol

oh hang on-I misinerpreted that. Soz lol :$

Last edited:

Well done FA
not its not its only city the games missed are in the OP

Well done FA

Lol wut?

It says in the OP what games he misses. Bolton, West Ham, Fulham, City and Everton.

But FA are Fergie's puppets. How is it even possible.

I would say, yes the ban is justified but lot of people need to take their head of their **** before making ridiculous statements about FA favoring United.