We are Red, We are White, We are Spanish Dynamite

Status
Not open for further replies.
athletico.png

Atlético suffer double Super Cup heartbreak

Spanish Super Cup

bojan-1.png

When it was found out that Barcelona would be taking on Atlético Madrid in the Spanish Super CUp over two legs, the whole nation of Spain was excited. With both new manager Daniel Oakes's and Barcelona boss Pep Guardiola's love for attacking football, the games were destined to be two crackers. And they did not disappoint.

When Barcelona came away from the Calderón with a 3-2 victory, many even including the Atlético faithful, thought that the tie was over. However, when the away side found themselves 2-0 up at the Nou Camp, everyone sat up and watched. The two matches between the two had been a marvel to be hold. It was two late Bojan strikes that out the sword to Atléti's brilliant challenge. For the future, we know whenever these two face off, we will be in for a classic.

Highlights of the 2 legs between Barca and Atléti

YouTube - At. Madrid 2 - 3 Barcelona - Match Highlights
YouTube - Barcelona 2 - 2 At. Madrid - Match Highlights

European Super Cup

sneijder.png

After history literally repeated itself, Inter Milan won the Champions League and Atlético Madrid won the Europa League, just like in the previous season; they would both face off again in the European Super Cup. A higy anticipated affair turned into a slightly damp squid when once again Inter Milan dominated. It was a sight for sore eyes, as Atlético, so impressive recently, turned in a dour performance to keel over and allow Inter the win. A goal from Diego Milito after just four minutes showed what was going to pan out in the match. It did not help when Dominguez was sent off just after the 20 minte mark for Madrid. Inter completed the rout with second half goals from Walter Samuel and Wesley Sneijder to cruise to a 3 goal victory. Daniel Oakes is believed to be disgusted with the performances of his players. New signing Alexis Sanchez was injured in the match and will now be out for at least three weeks.

AtMadridvInterInformation_Overview-2.png

Managers Thoughts

I cannot say that I am not hugely disappointed with failing to win wither of the Super Cup's. Our performance against Inter was simply the worst I have seen for a long, long time. We will have to be much better to even consider making it anywhere in Europe. Our performance against Barcelona was very meritable. I applaud the players for that but that does not take away how disappointed I am with the Inter game.

---------- Post added at 05:15 AM ---------- Previous post was yesterday at 09:15 PM ----------

Atlético Madrid unveil new kits

atleticohome.png
atleticoaway.png

Today, one week before the new season starts, Atlético Madrid have released their new home and away strip for the domestic season. Daniel Oakes's side have had a new sponsorship deal come through and this shows on the kits. Los Colchoneros are now sponsored by Sol Melia, the Spanish holidays company rather than Acciona. The new kits have been very well received by both playing staff and fans and the new away kits are receiving record numbers of sales, and not just from Atléti fans. Thanks must go to Nike designer known as Dannyfiveo for the brilliant designs.

---------- Post added at 03:32 AM ---------- Previous post was yesterday at 05:15 AM ----------
ajax2.png

Atlético Madrid given tricky Champions League draw

Untitled.png

The UEFA Champions League Group Stage draw was made today and Daniel Oakes was one of many excited managers awaiting where his team were placed. His team, who finished third in the Liga BBVA to automatically qualify for the group phase stage and were placed as second seeds. Half an hour later the group was drawn.

Chelsea
Atlético Madrid
VfB Stuttgart
Heerenveen

Once it was found out, it turns out that Oakes's side will have a tricky group, facing off against Premiership runners up Chelsea and Bundesliga champions Stuttgart. The fourth seed that were drawn in the group were Dutch side Heerenveen, and they are not believed to be that much of a bad side. Atlético will probably need to win home and away against Heerenveen and beat Stuttgart home or away to advance through to the knockout stages.

cr9.png

Chelsea winger Cristiano Ronaldo will no doubt cause the Atléti defence some problems

Last edited:
This story looks awesome dude! Some great results and congrats on a brill first season

I have an Athletico game going before I looked at this story, my first season I signed Toprak and Krytsov for defence, and Kadlec to partner Aguero and Forlan

Managed to split Real and Barca, missed out on winning the title by 1 point on the last day of the season..slightly gutted :(

Simao is playing really well for you, what role do you use him in may I ask??

athletico.png

Start of the Season

Atlético Madrid 2-0 Athletic Club
059.png
Adam Hlousek

059.png
Simao

Atlético started their season with a home game against Athletic Club. In a hotly contested affair which actually saw the visitors make more chances than the home side, goals from Adam Hlousek and Simao gave Daniel Oakes's side the win. Athletic Club brought a good game but were not clinical enough to beat Los Colchoneros.

Espanyol 1-2 Atlético Madrid
059.png
Sergio Araujo

059.png
Diego Forlan

Next up, to start September, Atlético took on the team that finished a point below them last season, Espanyol. It was bound to be a tough game for Oakes's side but when Daniel Osvaldo scored the opener for Espanyol, it was going to be even tougher. Just ten minutes later though, Sergio Araujo equalised to take it into half time at a goal apiece. Atléti came out in the second half with a bang and finally got the winning goal sixteen minutes from time when Diego Forlán stroked one home.

Champions League Group C

Heerenveen 0-1 Atlético Madrid
059.png
Sergio Araujo

Atlético Madrid travelled to Holland today to take on Heerenveen in their first Champions League game for at least a couple of years. They came right out fightinhg against the Dutch side with a couple of close shots early on. A goal from Sergio Araujo finally gave Atléti the breakthrough to give them a valuable three points.

Atlético Madrid 4-1 Getafe
059.png
Mané (own goal)

059.png
Adam Hlousek (2)

059.png
Diego Forlán

Atlético had a home game in the league next to look forward to against Getafe. Daniel Oakes's highfliers made a great start as Getafe defender Mané put it into his own net. After just seventeen minutes, the away side found themselves level through Manuel del Moral. Six minutes before half time, Los Colchoneros recovered there lead through winger Adam Hlousek. There was not much action for most of the second half and if anything, the away side showed more. However, unlikely as it was an 89th minute goal from Adam Hlousek and a 92nd minute from Forlán gave Atléti an impressive 4-1 win.

Hércules 2-5 Atlético Madrid
059.png
Diego Forlán (2)

059.png
Simao

059.png
Sergio Aguero

Oakes's sides next game in the league came against Hércules in Alicante. Things did not start well as the home side scored after just five minutes through Tiago Gomes. Diego Forlán equalised for the away side after just 14 minutes. It went into half time at one goal a piece although the home side were much the better side. However, Atlético Madrid took an unlikely lead just eight minutes after the break through a delightful Simao strike. Sergio Aguero extended the lead just after the hour mark and the game looked over. Hércules scored another to put themselves back in with a shout. This only proved to spur Atlético on as they Kun Aguero and Diego Forlán scored a goal each in the last six minutes.

Atlético Madrid 5-0 Numancia
059.png
Sergio Aguero (3)

059.png
Diego Forlán

059.png
Ryan Babel

Atléti's penultimate game of the month came in the league against recently promoted side, Numancia. Many fans expected a rout and they were not disappointed. Sergio Aguero opened the scoring for the home side in the first twelve minutes. Fourteen minutes later, Diego Forlán doubled their lead. The second half proved to contain even more goals. Ryan Babel popped up to score after 53 minutes before Super Kun Aguero scored two more to complete his hattrick and a fabulous 5-0 win.

Champions League Group C

Atlético Madrid 2-0 Stuttgart
059.png
Server Jeparov

059.png
Leonel Galeano

The end of the month brought about Week 2 of the Champions League group stage. This week, Atléti took on Stuttgart. An emphatic performance, both defenive and attacking brought Atlético a very impressive win. The goals came from unlikely sources in Server Jeparov and Leonel Galeano.

League Table

LIGABBVAInformation_LeagueTable.png

We are top of the league with a game in hand and I am very impressed with how we have played. We have had key players missing and have found our way around it and have played very well. To win five out of five is impressive, and although I knew it was possible, I could not see it happening. Well played lads.

Player of the Month

aguero.png

Sergio Aguero is my Player of the Month for August and September. The lad has hit the ground running and although the rest of the side were brilliant, Kun has scored four goals and has altogether impressed this month.

_________________________________________________________________________________________________

Wow! That took a while.

This will be my new update style from now on. If you could please make a comment on what you think about it, it would be muchly appreciated.

Most of all,

Happy Christmas!

---------- Post added at 08:29 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:23 AM ----------

This story looks awesome dude! Some great results and congrats on a brill first season

I have an Athletico game going before I looked at this story, my first season I signed Toprak and Krytsov for defence, and Kadlec to partner Aguero and Forlan

Managed to split Real and Barca, missed out on winning the title by 1 point on the last day of the season..slightly gutted :(

Simao is playing really well for you, what role do you use him in may I ask??

First of all, thank you for the comment.

Secondly, I play Simao as an Inside Forward Attack on the right wing and he has worked wonders cutting inside.

Lastly, Have a wonderful Christmas!

really a good story
and the new style is very nice

also good recovery after losing both super cups

I would like to know how do you change your kits?

Take a look at the kit request threads in the Kits section of the site. Make a request and they will make them for you and if you ask them nicely they will tell you how to put them into your game :)

Indeed mate, another incident to do with the transfer bug :(

athletico.png

Osasuna 0-1 Atlético Madrid
059.png
Tomas Rosicky

Daniel Oakes's side started their month with a tricky away game against Osasuna. His team started well and were generaly the better team in the first half an hour. After 35 minutes, Tomas Rosicky struck home and this proved to be the decisive goal in a solid win.

Atlético Madrid 3-0 Sporting Gijon
059.png
Raúl Garcia

059.png
Tore Reginiussen (og)

059.png
Sergio Araujo

Their second match of the month came back at the Vicente Calderón in a game they were expected to win against Sporting Gijon. Raúl Garcia struck a great goal to open up proceedings on the 22nd minute mark. The lead was doubled twenty minutes later when Reginiussen put the ball in the back of his own net. Sergio Araujo completed the scoring in the second half with a cool finish.

Champions League Group C

Atlético Madrid 2-1 Chelsea
059.png
Alexis Sanchez

059.png
Simao

Atlético faced their toughest challenge of the month when they took on Chelsea at the Calderón in the Champions League. Things looked to be turning sour when Didier Drogba opened the scoring after 35 minutes. However, Atléti struck back through Alexis Sanchez on the stroke of half time. Just when everyone though the first half was over, Simao burst to life and hit the back of the net with the last kick of the half to put Atlético ahead at the break. Oakes's side defended well in the second half and went away with the win.

UEFAChampionsLeagueInformation_Stages.png

Oakes's side find themselves top of a tough group, halfway through proceedings.

Real Sociedad 2-1 Atlético Madrid
059.png
Sergio Aguero

After the mid week heroics, beating Chelsea, Atlético Madrid had to make the trip to Sociedad.Things started very badly for Oakes's team when Antoine Griezmann netted after just three minutes. Twenty minutes later, Xabi Prieto scored to double the home sides lead. For the first time this season, Atlético were well and truly on the ropes and had been very wasteful with their chances. Their only force of a comeback was a consolation from Kun Aguero fifteen minutes from time. Sociedad became the first loss in the league for Oakes's high fliers.

Sabadell 1-1 Atlético Madrid
059.png
Germán Pacheco

Atlético faced off against Sabadell to kick off their Copa Del Ray campaign, trying to swiftly get over the loss in Sociedad. Oakes had made ten changes to the side that played in their last league game as he was giving his youngsters a chance.Things did not look good for their reputation as the minnows took the lead after half time. Fringe player Germán Pacheco equalised just before the break. Although dominant in the second half, Oakes's side could not find a break through and take a 1-1 draw back to Madrid.

Recreativo 0-4 Atlético Madrid
059.png
Diego Forlán (2)

059.png
Alexis Sanchez (2)

Atlético were hoping of getting rid of the burden of two games without a win when they returned to league action against recently promoted side, Recreativo. The away teams defence looked suspect from the start and Diego Forlán pummeled them with 18th and 20th minute goals. Atlético continued to dominate throughout the match and got two more goals reasonably late on, both through big money signing Alexis Sanchez.

League Table

LIGABBVAInformation_LeagueTable-1.png

We find ourselves at the top of the table still and we are playing brilliantly thus far. A minor slip up aainst Sociedad came along this month, but we are not going to go through the season without losing games, well, at least not yet. Another great month for all involved with the club.

Player of the Month

godin.png

My player of the minth this month goes to my trusty centre back, Diego Godin. Diego has been brilliant so far this season and has built up a brilliant partnership with Leonel Galeano at the back. He deserves this award as he has been so very solid at the back.

---------- Post added at 04:35 AM ---------- Previous post was yesterday at 04:18 PM ----------

four_four_two_logo.png

The Madriléno Derby - Tactical Analysis

61656_443882716576_730066576_5481497_929723_n.jpg

v
jose.png

With the Madrid Derby right around the corner, we here at FourFourTwo bring you how messers Oakes and Mourinho instruct their team to play. Let us first look at how Daniel Oakes, will be styling his play.

With all players fit, Oakes is expected toplay his usual formation with the advanced 442. Now in this formation, Oakes plays two central midfielders, which are absolutely key to his teams play. One of the midfielders, usually either Ignacio Camacho or Enzo Maresca is used to help out the defence and that is his duty. This allows the other, usually either Tomas Rosicky, or in Champions League games, Server Jeparov to create chances, usually making the play and helping make space and through passes for the forwards. Both the players on the wings, which have often changed this season. Usually these are occupied by Alexis Sanchez and Simao when both are fit. Both have been in magnificent form this season and have been a massive source for Atléti's goals. Oakes plays these very effectively and are always used as inside forwards. There roles are to cut inside and act as two more strikers. This was a fantastic decision in the tactic from Oakes, to play these two like that as they are not the best crossers in the world and would not be quite as effective as playing them as natural wingers. Secondly, the defensive issue of Oakes's side has been questioned in the past but has definitely come together since the signing of Galeano. The quicker of the two, Leonael Galeano, plays as a covering defender, sweeping up through balls from behind the defensive line. His partner at the back, Diego Godin is played as the more defensive of the two and is sat slightly deeper. Diego will mark opposing strikers prevent the ball from getting into the box. Finally, we come to the strikers. As the quicker of the two main strikers, Sergio Aguero is played as the Poacher. When playing in this role, he looks to run at his marker and his main aim is to put the ball in the back of the net. Aguero's partner however, Diego Forlán is a great support striker for Kun. Forlán, as a man that can do anything, with a supporting duty will look to find space, run at the defence, take long shots or look to play balls through the defensive line. This is a role he has perfected over the months and will look to star in it again when they face off against their bitter rivals. A simple look at the formation Oakes plays is shown below:

As seen above, Real Madrid's formation looks slightly defensive but it is not as it seems. José Mourinho, a man who firmly believes in the idea that if you don't concede, you cannot lose. The great tactician uses two defensive style midfielders which has become very popular in today's style of play and is the same or similar formation that he used in his Inter Milan days. However, now he uses the formation with much more fluency in the attack, as he has the players to do so. His right back, Sergio Ramos, plays in this formation, the same as he has always played, running up the right wing, always supporting the right winger. In a similar fashion, Alvaro arbeloa does this on the left, but does not get as far up the pitch, so Angel Di Maria does more running. In the attack, lone striker Karim Benzema plays up front as a likely deep lying forward. He will look to make chances for himself aswell as allowing other players to join in the attack. He is supported high up the pitch by Kaka, playing directly behind him. The Brazilian playmaker will look to find through balls to pick out Benzema ort make his own chances. Di Maria and Pedro León (usually Ozil) will also look to support Benzema so what looks like a lone striker may, when going forward turn into a four man attack.

That was the tactical description of the two Madrid teams. Will Atléti be able to make a name for themselves or will Mourinho's tactics pay off? Find out in two weeks.

I have never done an update like that, please let me know what you think. I though it was pretty decent but you are my audience.
smile.png

Nice update mate. Good to see you win Chelski :)

athletico.png

November Update

Champions League Group C

Chelsea 2-1 Atlético Madrid
059.png
Diego Forlán

To start off November, Oakes's Atlético Madrid side took on Chelsea at Stamford Bridge in the Champions League. This was a match that English runners up Chelsea dominated. They finally got the opener through a Cristiano Ronaldo penalty just before the hour mark. Didier Dorgba double the home side's lead eight minutes before time and Chelsea looked as they had the match won. Diego Forlán got on back for Atléti in stoppage time, but it proved too little too late.

Atlético Madrid 3-0 Sabadell
059.png
Ricardo Prósperi

059.png
Diego Costa

059.png
Alexis Sanchez

Their next match in November came in the Copa Del Ray against minnows Sabadell. Atlético failed to beat them away from home but it was a different story here. Young centre back Prósperi headed home the opener after a quarter of an hour. The Liga BBVA leaders continued to dominate but did not find a second until much later in the game. Diego Costa struck home the second. Alexis Sanchez completed the scoring with a well hit strike five minutes from time.

Atlético Madrid 4-2 Real Madrid
059.png
Sergio Aguero (2)

059.png
Alexis Sanchez

059.png
Ryan Babel

The date was the 19th September and it was time to find out who would be the victor of the fiercely competitive Madrid derby. Who would get the tactics right, Oakes or Mourinho? After an action packed twenty minutes, the home side took the lead through a marvelous Kun Aguero strike. Atléti found themselves in dreamland when Aguero struck again on the dawn of half time. After 45 minutes of play, it was looking as though the young manager had outrumped José. twenty minutes after the break, Kaka scored from the penalty spot to put Real well back into the game. The excitement for the away side was short lived however when Alexis Sanchez slotted home just five minutes later. With a two goal lead, Atlético continued to play with confidence and got a fourth goal through substitute Ryan Babel's strike. Real Madrid's Marcelo scored the final goal of the game but it was far too late to deny Daniel Oakes a fantastic win in the Madrid derby. One that fans will boast about for years to come.

Highlights of Atlético Madrid v Real Madrid

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NcfkWcLOf80

Champions League Group C

Atlético Madrid 4-0 Heerenveen
059.png
Diego Forlán (2)

059.png
Adam Hlousek (2)

The mood was slightly lighter as Oakes's side came away from the Madrid derby to face off against Heerenveen in the Champions League. The game was one that if Atléti won, they would qualify for the knockout phase. There was never any trouble of this as they came out and won in dominating fashion. Braces from both Diego Forlán and Adam Hlousek came them an emphatic 4-0 win.

UEFAChampionsLeagueInformation_Stages-2.png

Barcelona 1-2 Atlético Madrid
059.png
Diego Forlán

059.png
Diego Godín

The game that many an Atléti fan dread came next as the Red and White Madrid side took on Barcelona at the Nou Camp. Today was a different story however and many felt it coming after seeing a very impressive Atléti side in magnificent form this season. In an action packed first half, Diego Forlán took the lead for the away side through a cooly strucken penalty. Barcelona equalised through a penalty of their own on the dawn of half time and Pep Guardiola and his players thought that there job was done for the half and took a nap. Diego Godín took adavantage with a very rare goal to put his side ahead again. In the second half, unusually we saw Oakes set up his side to defend, and they did so very meritably. They hung on for an invaluable and unlikely win at the Nou Camp.

Highlights of Barcelona v Atlético Madrid

YouTube - Barcelona 1 - 2 At. Madrid - Match Highlights

Málaga 1-2 Atlético Madrid
059.png
Sergio Aguero(2)

The final game of the month saw Atlético on the road again, against slightly easier competition this time in Málaga. Their win at the Nou Camp had showed no signs of tiredness as Sergio Aguero was rampant. A brace from Kun put Atléti 2-0 in front and they never looked like losing. A 70th minute Málaga penalty conversion was just a consolation for the home side.

potm-1.png

aguero.png

Yet again, Sergio Aguero has shone above the rest this month. His five goals are just the start of what he has given to us. He really is turning into a club talisman and I can see him staying here for the rest of his career.

Manager Thoughts

All I can say is WOW. I knew my players could do something special but I was not expecting this. We have lost just one game in all competitions and we are looking stronger every single game. There is not even a weak spot I can pick out in the team. I just hope that they don't get complacent as we could win a lot this season.

Last edited:
Great results here, just keep going like that and you'll win a title!

Really good story!

I found an inconsistency in which you stated Chelsea was the English Runner up and now you declare they are the Champions? Just a small error I really love your story I don't know how to follow it though mines is OK no one but mes read it though.

oh thanks for that, will edit it now. Was just doing it off the top of my head and remembered it wrong. :S Thanks for following though. I will take a look at yours ;)

---------- Post added at 07:08 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:15 AM ----------

athletico.png

update.png

Atlético Madrid 2-0 Mallorca
059.png
Sergio Aguero

059.png
Diego Forlán

Oakes's side started off the Christmas month with a relatively straight forward home game against Mallorca. This was made even easier when Aguero scored after 18 minutes. Los Colchoneros continued to dominate throughout the match and finally got a second goal to confirm the win six minutes from time. Diego Forlán was the scorer, another solid win for the forgotten Madrid side.

Champions League Group C

VfB Stuttgart 2-3 Atlético Madrid
059.png
Sergio Aguero

059.png
Server Jeparov
059.png
Baris Ozbek (o.g.)

The next game in a short month for Atléti was an away game in Germany in the Champions League. It was always going to be a tough game for Oakes's side and looked even tougher when they found themselves behind after ten minutes. They did not give up and finally found themselves level again four minutes before the break through Sergio Aguero. Two minutes after the hour mark, Champions League playmaker Server Jeparov put them in front for the first time and the game was put to bed three minutes later after Ozbek put it in his own net. Cacau scored later on for the home side but it was just a consolation.

UEFAChampionsLeagueInformation_Stages-1.png

Vilarreal 1-0Atlético Madrid

In the penultimate game of the month, Atlético Madrid travelled to Villarreal for what was sure to be a tough game. The home side started to take the initiative in the first ten minutes and went very close through Nilmar. Atlético were not at the races. Villarreal shortly took the lead through a Diego Buonanotte penalty. It did not help when Alvaro Dominguez was sent off just after half time and Atléti were not able to take any of their chances as they slumped to only their third loss of the season.

Sevilla 1-1 Atlético Madrid
059.png
Sergio Aguero

In the last game before the winter break of two weeks, Atlético took on Sevilla. Atlético were the better team for much of the second half but could not find a breakthrough. They were made to rue their missed chances when Negredo struck home from 7 yards out to put the home side in front. Just before the hour mark, Kun Aguero pounced on the goalkeepers mistake to score a real poachers effort. This was the last goal of the year for Atlético as they earned a hard fought draw at Ramún Sánchez Pizjuán.

table.png

LIGABBVAInformation_LeagueTable-2.png

We stand top of the league at Christmas and nobody expected this, not even me. We are three points clear and that is absolutely massive. With the games we have left and the players we have, I fully believe we will win the title. I know we can do it.

danoakes.png

kun.png

Sergio has got to be this months best player once again in December. With going two games without a win there are not that many players who have actually shone recently but Kun is still scoring goals. This man is on fire right now.

MOTM.png

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nynCOi4D44U&feature=player_embedded"]YouTube - Stuttgart 2 - 3 At. Madrid - Match Highlights[/ame]

Big thanks to Dec and jones for the headers
smile.png

transfers.png

sport-hatem-ben-arfa-2.jpg

Ben Arfa signs on the dotted line

Today, here at the Vicente Calderón, Daniel Oakes made what is considered to be a massive bargain in the football world. Hatem Ben Arfa joins Atlético Madrid on a four year contract worth £50,000 a week. Atlético are understood to have paid around £1.6 million for the French attacking midfielder. Ben Arfa had just six months left on his Marseille contract but Oakes saw the need to move earlier for the Frenchman.

Hatem Ben Arfa started his career in 2002 at Lyon where he ended up making 64 appearances in five years. He then moved from Lyon to Marseille in a £10.5 million and became a first team regular immediately. He played 62 games in three seasons in Marseille before being shipped out on loan to Newcastle. This was the stage in his career in France that though it may be the end for him at Marseille. While at Newcastle, Hatem suffered a horrendous leg break and since returning to Marseille has struggled to make the first team. Atlético Madrid is belived to be his last big break.

Daniel Oakes said:
I am delighted with signing Hatem Ben Arfa. He used to be a top class player and I believe we can bring the best out of him once again. He will be an asset to the club.
Jose-Antonio-Reyes-wallpaper-30-610.jpg

Trio leave for pastures new

Daniel Oakes today has let three players leave the doors of the Vicente Calderón. These three players are Jose Antonio Reyes, Antonio Lopez and Mario Suarez. Reyes leaves the club after three seasons here for a fee of £5 million. He will now be strutting his stuff at Palermo. Antonio Lopez today moved to Arsenal in a deal worth around £3 million. It is believed that Lopez was known as a backup player to Oakes and he is pleased to get rid of the huge amount of wages off the bill. Finally, defensive midfielder Mario Suarez has joined AS Saint Etienne for £4 million.

Daniel Oakes said:
It is never nice to say goodbye to players but I felt we needed to ship some players out. All three players were earning a very high wage and there playing time did not justify what they were being paid. This is why, regrettably I have had to let them go. We wish the best to them in the future.

---------- Post added at 04:35 AM ---------- Previous post was yesterday at 10:04 PM ----------

transfers.png

Deals in the Pipeline for Atlético

ToniKroos.jpg

It is the end of January and although Atlético have not signed any players to play for them this January, they have agreed deals to bring in many players. Perhaps the biggest signing of them all will be German international Toni Kroos on a free transfer. Kroos will undoubtedly be a bargain for Oakes's side and even if he flops, Oakes will be able to sell him for a profit. Youngsters Bryan Rabello, Dodo and Mateo Kovacic will also join the club for a conbined fee of around £6 million. Three more big signings will be joining Atlético at the end of the season. The first to agree terms was Dutch goalkeeper Maarten Stekelenburg on a free from Ajax. The final of the six signings that will be added to the squad will be winger Andrés Guardado. He too will join on a free transfer and all will be strutting their stuff at the new stadium next season.

Two players leave the Calderón

Sergio-Asenjo-Atletico-Madrid-goalk.jpg

The first player to leave Atlético this transfer window is young goalkeeper Sergio Asenjo. Some may think this is a mistake but he was largely a back up to first team goalkeeper David De Gea. The signing of Stekelenburg in the summer paved the way for this move. It is believed he will have his chance at Hoffenheim. The deal to take him away from Madrid will be £10 million. The final transfer dealings of the window is the sale of Fran Merida to Sporting Gijon. Merida was told he was way down the pecking order at the Calderón and was free to leave. He did so and left for Sporting for £1.6 million.

Daniel Oakes said:
I am happy with finishing up my January business. We did need to get rid of some players off the wage list and we did that. The players we have coming in the summer are ver talented players and they will make this team even better than it is now.

---------- Post added at 07:31 PM ---------- Previous post was yesterday at 04:35 AM ----------

janupdate.png

Tenerife
1-4 Atlético Madrid
059.png
Eduardo Salvio
059.png
Sergio Aguero
059.png
Simao (2)

The month started off with a game in the Copa Del Ray for the defending champions. However the home side, surprisingly took the lead after 25 minutes. Daniel Oakes's team of backups fired up after half time. Eduardo Salvio scored their first goal after seven minutes of play in the second half. Kun Aguero gave them the lead three minutes later. Two late goals from winger Simao gave Oakes's side a cruising victory away from home.

Atlético Madrid 5-0 Deportivo La Coruna
059.png
Diego Forlán (2)
059.png
Sergio Aguero
059.png
Alexis Sanchez
059.png
Stopira (o.g.)

Atlético Madrid returned to the league to focus on Deportivo in their next game. Atéti were awarded a penalty after 18 minutes and Forlán knocked it home. Surprisingly there were no more goals in the first half. Once again though, the league leaders came out firing in the second half. Diego Forlán scored a second penalty three minutes after the resume. Four minutes later, Kun Aguero made it three. After 65 minutes, Atlético Madrid found themselves 4-0 up after Alexis Sanchez struck home. Four minutes later, the goal fest was over when Stopira put one into his own net.

Atlético Madrid 5-1 Tenerife
059.png
Leonel Galeano (2)
059.png
Eduardo Salvio
059.png
Sergio Aguero (2)

The next game in the month was the second leg of their Copa Del Ray tie with Tenerife. This game was a dead rubber after the 4-1 drubbing in Tenerife. Atlético were still impressive with a brace from both Galeano and Aguero in addition to a Salvio goal giving them an impressive 5-1 win and booking them a place with Osasuna in the quarters.

Atlético Madrid 3-1 Valencia
059.png
Diego Forlán (2)
059.png
Alexis Sanchez

Atlético returned to the league and had a very tough game, at home to Valencia. Oakes's side had a tough start as Mata gave the away side a 10 minute lead. This must have kicked Atlético into action ad a brace from Forlán and another from Sanchez gave them yet another impressive win.

Atlético Madrid 4-0 Osasuna
059.png
Sergio Aguero
059.png
Diego Forlán

059.png
Adam Hlousek

059.png
Leonel Galeano

Atlético's first game into the second half of the long month of January came about in the Copa Del Ray quarter final against Osasuna. Atlético had a fantastic first half, racing to a three goals to nil lead. Goals from Aguero, Forlán and Hlousek gave them the lead. Oakes was playing a younger side that were not at full strength, however not many could tell. After 74 minutes, Atléti found themselves 4 goals to the good as Leonel Galeano towered above the rest to head home.

Xerez 0-3 Atlético Madrid
059.png
Sergio Aguero

059.png
Diego Forlán
059.png
David Lombán (o.g.)

Atlético's next game came against newly promoted Xerez in what looked certain to be a one sided match up. Xerez could not even hold out for ten minutes after Sergio Aguero netted home after just nine minutes. Six minutes after half time, Diego Forlán doubled the league leaders lead. The goals were over when Lombán put one into his own net to gift the Madrid side a 3-0 win.

Osasuna 1-0 Atlético Madrid

Atlético's next game was going to be a dead rubber game in the Copa Del Ray against Osasuna. The only goal of the game came from Fernando Usero for Osasuna as they cruised to an unlikely win. This being said, Atlético manager rested over eight irst team players.

Atlético Madrid will play Valladolid in the Semi Final of the Copa Del Ray.

Athletic Bilbao 2-5 Atlético Madrid
059.png
Sergio Aguero (2)

059.png
Leonel Galeano
059.png
Hatem Ben Arfa

059.png
Adam Hlousek

Every time that Atlético take on Athletic Club, there seems to be goals. This game was much the same as it came to a seven goal thriller. Gaizka Toquero took the lead for the home side after just eight minutes. Ten minutes later, the lead was wiped out from a Sergio Aguero strike. Leonel Galeano scored yet another goal to give the league leaders the lead. Seven minutes before the half time break, Atlético centre back Diego Godín put the ball into the back of his own net to equalise for Athletic. Three minutes after the break, new signing Hatem Ben Arfa struck home to take the lead once again. Atlético looked on fire second half and added to their goals with another Kun Aguero strike after 73 minutes. Adam Hlousek completed the scoring on the 90th minute mark to complete a memorable 5-2 win.
table.png
LIGABBVAInformation_LeagueTable-3-1.png

I am delighted to still be at the top of the league after another brilliant month. We keep winning games, but unfortunately, Real Madrid have not been dropping any points at all so they are just three points behind. 17 wins out of 20 at this stage is just fantastic though.

danoakes.png

o_independiente_leonel_galeano-8165.jpg

Leonel Galeano gets this months Player of the Month award. He is a relatively new signing here but has settled in fantastically. He has been a rock at the back and this month has added four goals to his tally.
MOTM.png

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eZSRnjCmQ0M"]YouTube - Athletic 2 - 5 At. Madrid - Match Highlights[/ame]

Wow, haven't looked at this for ages. Can't believe what I've been missing! Fantastic stuff, well done with the double. Hope you do well again this year. :)

Oakes rejects Chelsea

630.png

Last week, ambitious Atlético Madrid manager Daniel Oakes was understood to have been offered a job to take over at Chelsea in his homeland. He was believed to be offered five times the salary he earns at the Calderón and a £30,000,0000 budget to overhaul the London club. The deal would have taken place at the end of the season. This came to the light ever since Carlo Ancelotti was sacked after they are only managing to hold onto 7th place this season.

Carlo-Ancelotti.jpg

Ancelotti in his last days at Chelsea

It is believed today that Oakes has rejected the job offer from Chelsea. This is what he had to say:

Daniel Oakes said:
I am very flattered to have been offered the Chelsea job but it is far too early. My job here at Atlético is not yet done and I will only leave here when I am happy to do so. I wish Chelsea all the best in the future with the new manager they appoint.

Status
Not open for further replies.