2012 - End of the World

Do you think the world will end?

• Total voters
2000 was infact a serious concern. The Y2K was the Problem, not knowing if missiles would be sent off or if all computers stopped as they were unsure if the Clocks on computers controlling missiles etc would go to the year 19100 (99-100, 19 99 19 100) which may have triggered some nasty missiles off in any dierctions. Thankfully it never only a few things went wrong nothing major though.

Hmm I didnt know that I just thought it was a similar situation to the 2012 thing. My mistake.

Hmm I didnt know that I just thought it was a similar situation to the 2012 thing. My mistake.

most people don't know, I just have a few quite hours a week when I just google stuff and research useless stuff XD

---------- Post added at 06:09 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:06 PM ----------

Of course, they were a very clever and intelligent people, and some of the things they've predicted beggar belief, but for them to predict the absolute end of the planet thousands of years beforehand just seems...a bit much, if you know what I mean.

There was more evidence to predict Y2K, because it was completely unprecedented that meant it was a very, very real threat. Thankfully it didn't happen though, as you said, but Y2K was much more likely to happen than 2012, IMO.

It is impossible to say really, know one really knows. The world could end tomorrow if Yellowstone errupted due to the unthinkable size of ashcloud blocking the sun all over the world. Could happen in a million years.

Well said by Neall, but so did Nostradamus, predicting a lotta stuff. I believe the world will change, not really end. And not as strict as people make it. I mean the economic structure. A crisis is spreading worldwide and that COULD end the world as we know it. Just imagine an economic break down in each and every country.

Another thing I found is this...

"The date December 21st, 2012 A.D. (13.0.0.0.0 in the Long Count), represents an extremely rare Winter Solstice – with the crossing point of the Galactic Equator (Equator of the Milky Way) and the Ecliptic (path of the Sun) – what the ancient Maya recognized as the Sacred Tree. This is an event that has been coming very slowly over thousands and thousands of years. It will come to resolution at exactly 11:11 am GMT. December 21, 2012 will not mark the end of the world or a similar catastrophe – as they would have us believe."
This cycle happens every 26,000 years, this is what the mayans may have predicted

You are very well researched Neall, nice to see some intelligent input, my irony is showing again ;)

You are very well researched Neall, nice to see some intelligent input, my irony is showing again ;)

I researched this stuff around about a year ago when most people started talking about this.

Whoever, although if it doesnt then you have to give me £1,000 :)

Guaranteed that someone will do something really stupid like take out a massive loan from the bank and what ever else. Will wake up the next day and think...
"... oh ****"

OK, first off; Neall's posts are the most likely solution to this. It'll be more likely that it's the Winter Solstice rather than something like the Earths magnetic field disappears and the atmosphere goes along with it, killing all life. And besides, if the Mayan's had survived longer, then their Calendar would have been longer as well.

The world WILL end, but it's only when the sun eventually dies out [around 5.4billion years], not in about a year in a half.

Guaranteed that someone will do something really stupid like take out a massive loan from the bank and what ever else. Will wake up the next day and think...
"... oh ****"

LOL.. if this happened i would **** my pants

if bentner can score a hattrick then the world could possibly end in 2012 :p

i dont think it will happen but then i dont think you can be certain it wont these mayan guys might of just got lucky or they thinks its gonna end because they guy writing their calender got a bit bored :p

The world WILL end, but it's only when the sun eventually dies out [around 5.4billion years], not in about a year in a half.

technically true, by then though the Human race will be long gone. End of the world as we know is predicted is 2012. Polar shifts could cause us to become extinct due to the intense cold weather.

The world will end when Liverpool win their 19th title and San Marino wins the World Cup. Extremely sarcastic, but Neall's posts are the ones to this solution...

The phrase, 'The end of the world as we know it' is far too vague, especially to take its meaning as that of the world literally ending.