Are You Paranoid To Sign A 30 Year Old Player?

Would you sign a player above the age of 30?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I don't really mind if a good player is 30+, as long as he can contribute something to the team. I found a good DM who was 35 for my Aberystwyth (Wales) team. He had excellent stats for corners, free kicks, passing, tackling etc. However, his pace was at 6 and had decreased to 5 by mid-season. Still, he's helped us with 19 assists in 15(3) about 3/4 through. So I'll be looking for a new DM for next season. But given that I didn't pay much for him (100k) I'd want to look at it as a good signing regardless of age. Heck, he's helped us to secure a place in top 4 which means we get to go out and play against other european teams! =)

I've never signed a 30+ year old player on any FM. I tried with Deco after Chelsea released him, but he went to Porto. :(

I love to sign a free 30+ years old when managing low reputation team. it's truly effective..

i try and buy young player who will improve so never pay a transfer for them but enjoy signing "big names" on a free transfer and trying to sell them 6 months / a year later for a profit

ill buy a 28 yr old but not 30 unless im managing a lower league club and have no other options but i find most prem standard players at the age of 30 within a season hes prob a good league 1 player dunno if thats my training or staff but they just get **** so quick

The title of this thread should not have 'paranoid' but should have 'reluctant' instead.

i dont mind buyin players over 30, i just dont buy players over 30 if there more than 5 million or have poor natural fitness, i think havin a few experienced players are good in a squad gives the younger players a chance to learn. but i dont pay more than 5 million for players over 30 as you dont know when they would want to retire or be injured for a long time and spending all that money on older players would be useless as we all know older players take alot longer to recover from injuries as younger would.

I would only buy players who are 30 or over at a cheap price and a smallish club. for example, I bought Michael Owen for 1.1 million with Portsmouth when he just turned 30 and against the big teams he always scores. He's 32 in the game now and his attributes have gone down, but his performances aren;t showing it. Also, I signed Gabri from Ajax for 475k who, also was 30, and he has been class on the wing, and as a ball winning midfielder.;)

I Signed essien for my athletico team wen he turned thrity such an influential player :p

Only really if they were available on free transfer, cuts out the majority of the financial risk. Sometimes if you have young players that are just about to break through, older players or shorter contracts can help tide you over and not block your youngster progression.

I don't normally sign them unless they're goalkeepers or the God that is Andrea Pirlo!
I did sign Arshavin on a free in my Roma save and he was great for me at 33,also Beckham was my captain in that save till he retired at 39!
I always sell players when they turn 30,the majority decrease in value and aren't that great anymore!

I sign over 30's as long as they are still good and cheap.

Just signed Kaka, Cardozo and Alves who are all in their 30's now, Last season i had Lampard, Cahill and Van Persie who were all in their 30's, Cahill and Lampard were 37 and both retired but Van Persie is still with us.I normally try and have 2-3 experienced players in my team just as backup, Cheap to sign, Cheap wages and can still perform, Plus i know what i'm getting with them whereas sometimes younger players are hit and miss.

Yeh i have this problem with Mutu. Hes good but i never sign a player over 25 unless im a low down team

i signed M.Owen on free transfer for Arsenal. He not first choice pick, and has low wages with high apperance bonus. he doing as well as can be expected. But I would never spend big money on a player over 30

Last edited:
Just going into my second season with Sunderland, signed Beckham and Riquelme(sp?) on free transfers, got Riquelme tutoring verratti. Although in pre season Beckham picked up and injury that puts him out for 3 month!

I will Sign players above 30 when dey are on a free n mostly a famous one. For example i signed Van nistelrooy for a free, which has been banging in lots of goals for me in my inter game.

If im not at a top club id sign any age players as long as they are good and cheap. On my Fiorentina game I needed another back up striker so i bought Joseba Llorente (30) for £1.2M (he was transfer listed). They are quite useful.

Yeh i have this problem with Mutu. Hes good but i never sign a player over 25 unless im a low down team

25 seems a bit young IMO, you need experience in the team aswell. plus you're missing out on plenty of good players that way. but to each their own.

yh it is deano i only stop playin them over 30 if i like them then i keep on playin them